Contexte / Présentation de l'employeur
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Secretariat of the Economic Commission for Africa, Office of Partnerships under the Office of the Deputy Executive Secretary. The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Office of Partnerships.
Description du Poste et Responsabilités
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members;
- Maintains attendance and leave records of staff. As and when required request overtime work, maintain overtime records and submits overtime records for payment action;
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for
- services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations);
- Prepares processes and follow up mission travels, amendments of TAs and claims of TAs of staff, consultants and participants;
- Maintains a comprehensive record keeping and retrieval system;
- Open all incoming mails and forwards them to the secretary of the Office;
- Distribute personal and office mails to all staff of the office;
- Liaise with other support units to initiate travel arrangements;
- Acquire equipment and supplies and submits requests for maintenance and repair services;
- Maintains stock of office supplies, orders office furniture/equipment and keeps inventory records;
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters;
- Maintain necessary budgetary control and allotment records of the office;
- Maintains good public contact for the Office by responding to inquires and making available general information on administrative related and general matters; and
- Responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of junior General Service staff.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements;
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary;
- Assists manager in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures;
- Prepares or customizes financial reports from IMIS system generated reports; and
- Coordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
Human Resources Management
- Initiates, reviews, processes and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures;
- Responds to enquiries and provides information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, administrative procedures, processes and practices, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations;
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements. Reviews and processes personnel actions through IMIS; and
- Monitors staffing table and prepare relevant statistical data/charts.
- Prepares and follow up in the processing of Special Service Agreements (SSAs) for consultants/contractors; and
- Processes the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments.
Profil et critères de sélection du candidat
- Professionalism: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings; and
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High School Diploma is required. Diploma in Secretarial Science and Office Management is an asset. Knowledge of Office Administration is highly desirable combined with computer application skills.
A minimum of seven and more years of specialized experience in progressively responsible work in office administration or secretarial duties.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post
Advertised; fluency in English or French (written and oral), plus a working knowledge for the other is optimum.
The assessment method for this Job Opening is a technical written test and competency based
- Appointment against this post is on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable internal candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. Passing the Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa. Candidates who are short-listed to be considered for this position will be contacted by the recruiter to be scheduled to sit for the ASAT at a later date.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Informations complémentaire sur l'emploi
Secteur d'activité: Organisme international
Type de poste: Temps plein
Horaires de travail: Horaire normal
Langue de travail: Anglais
Deuxième langue de travail: Français
Délai de candidature: 28/02/2014